Is there a relationship between the Trinity as community and church as community? If so, what is the basis of that relationship?
Here’s my current thinking in bullet form:
- Perichoresis (co-indwelling or interpenetration) is an essential feature of the Triune God (John 15:1-16:4).
- The Economic Trinity is the image of the Immanent Trinity (Fred Sanders’ take on Rahner’s Rule; see here for a bit on economic vs immanent (aka ontological)).
- Humanity is created in the image of the Triune God (Genesis 1:26-27).
- Jesus Christ is the image of God (Colossians 1:14-16)
- The eschatological people of God are the new humanity in Christ (Romans 5; Ephesians 4:11-16).
- The church is the earthly gathering of the eschatological people of God.
- The church reflects the image of God, therefore the church ought to behave according to its essential communal nature.
The paper is due Nov 8 (yikes!), so I’ll have more after that. For now, questions, critiques, and ponderings are quite welcome.
UPDATE: 110106 additional points added; 110206 edits and still more.