The Gospel in a Pluralist Society
by Lesslie Newbigin
Publisher: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company (December 1989)
The church is…
- a community of peace, overflowing reverence for and gratitude to Jesus in the presence of others.
- a community of truth, proclaiming the ultimate truth of Jesus with modesty, sobriety, and realism.
- a community that lives for the neighborhood, acting as God’s embassy in that specific location.
- a community of priestly training, standing before God on behalf of people and before people on behalf of God, all in the context of daily life.
- a community of hope, living as the hermeneutic of the gospel: a congregation that truly believes the crucified and risen Messiah is the ultimate authority.