As interpretive perceptions, emotions can be right or wrong about the situation, true or false of it. And they are motivational. As concern-based, the are affected by what the subject cares about, what is important to him or her; and many emotions tend to move their subjects to action in a way that is suggested by the concern that is basic to the emotion, along with the particular way of construing the situation that the emotion involves.
Emotions are not merely responses to the world, they are also ways of seeing that carry meaning more than they carry fact. As carriers of meaning, emotions are shaped by the particular concerns of individual persons. As motivation, emotions move individual persons toward behaviors and produce understandings/explanations of the world that are in keeping with each person’s concerns.
- How are emotions, concerns, behaviors, and understandings shaped by community?
- What is the influence of spiritual emotions on the functioning of the ekklesia?
- What is the influence of the ekklesia on the development and functioning of emotions in individual believers?
- How does the godly exercise of affections prepare us for life in the consummated Kingdom? As individuals? As community?
- Wikipedia on emotions
- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy on emotion
- “The Holy Spirit and our Emotions” bible.org